Wacom cintiq and macbook pro pen issues

Hi there - just trying out shapr and ran into what seems like a strange issue I can’t seem to resolve.

for context I am running Shapr on an M1 macbook pro connected to a an older wacom cintiq 13HD (I’m using it as a screenless tablet as I have another external display connected and the M1 mac will only support one ext display - this seems to work fine apart from the following issue). I am reasonably experienced with CAD and 3d apps in general

The issue is as follows: The manual website states that using a wacom without touch should work with ctrl/alt/shift keyboard modifiers + the pen to navigate the viewport - but I cannot get this to work. Any pen input instantly switches to sketch drawing mode (unless I hold the pen down which enters selection mode) and no amount of pressing any of the keyboard modifiers makes a difference to that.

I can setup the wacom express keys to successfully activate pan and zoom using the wacom center’s built in functions for those options, but the similar option for tumble won’t work (Note these are wacom inbuilt commands directly for those navigation options - NOT stand-ins for keyboard modifiers - although I would much prefer to be able to use the shift/alt/ctrl keyboard keys)

when initially launched Shapr did ask me what input style I was using, and at that point I chose keyboard + trackpad (the macbook is not always hooked up to the wacom, etc at my desk) I don’t know if that matters, and I can’t find anyway to access that option again if it does

could anyone suggest a solution?

I can use Shapr fine with keyboard and trackpad, but would be nice to use the pen input as thats kinda the whole raison d’etre after all! :slight_smile:

found a solution that kinda works:

it seems I can set the pen buttons to replicate a middle click and then I can use one of the presets that confines navigation to middle click + keyboard modifiers (eg blender preset) and that works - does NOT work with either LMB or RMB emulation for some reason

means I have to press the pen button to navigate but I guess thats better than it not working at all!

would still love to understand what the underlying issue is however

Hi,

We don’t support Wacom tablets on macOS yet, so they work as is, some issues like this are to be expected.

ahh, that makes sense then, thanks for the info - this is not very clearly stated anywhere however :slight_smile:

I guess I am a little surprised that what was a native ipad app seems to be better sorted on windows than mac OS…

There aren’t too many good Windows based devices with pencil support, so more users use Wacom there. On Apple side, it’s just more common to run an iPad and mac for the pencil experience. That being said, it’s of course possible we will support Wacom devices on mac too, it was just a lower priority.

You can find the list of supported input devices here:

thanks for the info and prompt response!

1 Like

It doesn’t make much sense to me not to support Wacom on Mac OS X. I got a 4 month gift subscription as part of a new Wacom tablet I bought, but the very tablet itself is not supported by the software.

Also besides the intuos tablet which I primarily use for office work and publications, I use my Wacom Cintiq 24 for everything else design. I have an Ipad but prefer the big screen when at home. I love the interface but unless there will be Wacom support, I will have to stick to sketch up on my Mac because without good tablet support the interface doesn’t make much sense. It is designed for pen input.

Hope you will reconsider priorities, I love the intuitiveness of the software on IPad and would love that on my Mac.

Kind regards, André

@Laci_K
Could you pls elaborate on this??? I get that you get the pencil experience on the iPad. I use that myself and love it.
But what if the mac (macbook or mini) is your weapon of choice and you want to use your big screen. How do you get pencil here??
Makes zero sense to use Sidecar or Duet as that would be the same as running the iPad app directly. Plus that requires a new’ish iPad and the pencil.

A wacom One Medium is less than half the price of just the pencil…

I guess what I’m asking is, what is your official/preferred way to use Shapr on a Mac on the big screen???

Hi @jnygaard.dk,

With the support of Wacom devices, we focused on the Windows platform where Pencil & Touch devices are not as common as iPads for macOS users.

For navigating within Shapr3D on macOS, please use 3DConnexion devices in addition to the traditional input methods such as the trackpad, mouse, and keyboard.

You are probably correct. Many/most Mac users have an iPad or at least an iPhone. But neither is of any use here, if you want you use your big 43 inch external monitor.
Would be nice if there was a way to use iPad/iPhone either as the the viewport control device. Not having to buy the space mouse.
Kinda like the https://www.remotemouse.net/ but tweaked to work with Shapr. So a trackpad area that works changes view as on the iPad and with shortcut above.

And I’m sure I’m not the only one having a Magic trackpad in a box somewhere. Would be nice if Shapr would recognise that as a 3rd/separate input device, so it does the view control and don’t just become another mouse… That’s not the case today, is it?? Looking in settings, it seems you still have to use shift/cmd/opt keys to zoom/pan with the trackpad. Like if you only have the trackpad (on macbook)

1 Like