What should be the next feature?

Me too
Would make a massive difference to me
Kevin

Okay, by way of background, Iā€™m an amateur maker and have worked through several 3d modeling packages on the PC and settled on Fusion 360.

First off, I have to say that when coming up with something for this thread Iā€™ve thought I had something several times and then realized that I just didnā€™t know S3d well enough yet, that indeed S3d does what I wanted but a slightly different way than what I have seen.

First request is for you to have something in between the crippled free and the too expensive for amuture full package. Perhaps something limited to 6-10 bodies and affordable.

As to the SW itself, I hope you keep it lightweight much like it is. I am loving that I can grab the pencil and just get with it.

Iā€™d like to see easier fillets in sketches. They are not hard now but they could be easier. OR you could make the fillets we make in the bodies show up in dxf outputs.

Iā€™d also love to see a few more file types supported for output. PDF, SVG, and of course Fusion 360ā€™s native format.

Thanks for actively listening to your customers!

2 Likes

Line and curve color feature!

That is something else I miss from Rhino. When working on drawings. limited to sketch plane, I would like to edit with different colors to distinguish old from new as well as individual items.

A nice way to use different drawings on same sketch plane! Like in Rhino, use toggles more, please. Toggles for dimension, sketch colors, constraints etc. and preferably placeable(location) constraints and dimensions.

1 Like

It would be great if there was a feature to change the colour of sketch lines, it would certainly assist me.

2 Likes

Sweep along 2 rails would be an awesome feature.

I know itā€™s been said 100 times but a way to organize projects. Itā€™s getting annoying to have to comb through the random order that is the projects tab.

The ability to have different sketches on same plane. I have to delete my sketches on the the top/front/sides in or move to another plane to not have them group together with other sketches.

The ability to organize in colors possibly so you can select all of one color at a time whether sketches/bodies/whatever. (This could be a possibility to fix the sketches issue)

Scale along only x, y, z.

The possibility of industry specific tools. As a jeweler a way to effectively plot stones and cut seats and I put dimensions of different cuts of stones would be worth an add on subscription. It takes me hours and hours to plot out stones and prongs which is something I can do on Matrix in a fraction of the time.

2 Likes

You may already have this but a nice thing would be a way to tell the time spent on a project, as well as maybe just a simple clock in a corner somewhere, cause I have to exit out of the app to see what time it is. Itā€™s just a couple of thoughts, Iā€™ve had this for about a month and really like it compared to what is out there. I look forward to seeing all the new additions you will be marking in the future.

1. Instance blocks - ideally with the ability to instance whole groups of objects!

2. 2 rail sweep

3. 3D curves (would be great help for complex sweeps/lofts)

4. Curently the widget/gizmo can be moved and snapped to an object parts, but then when you move the object it wont snap to another object using that position.

For example in rhino, when you relocate the gimball you can then use the new position as a snapping point when using the gimbal to move objects (Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m explaining this properly).

2 Likes

Hi @Laci , thanks for the suggestions.

Can you show an example where youā€™d need a 3D curve?

Have you tried the Align tool?

Well like I mentioned, complex sweeps.
I was recently working on a stadium for a VR project and making complex outer shell shape by manually making the sections would be pretty tough. Especially if you need to go through several design variants.

But on other hand, making 3d curves without the ability to create surfaces (not closed solids) might be pointless.

As for the gizmo snapping, gizmo itself snaps perfectly to body parts, so I donā€™t understand why couldnā€™t it also snap the same way when moving body.

Sometimes an object or a part might be just a little off and just being able to nudge it to sit on other part in a single axis would be helpful.

Align tool will always move whole body to match specified key points/surfaces for alignment.

In fact being able to use gizmo for snapping would be even more powerful than current align tool as it can be already snapped outside of the body at an arbitrary point in space or on another body.

hereā€™s what iā€™m used to do in rhino and i donā€™t think it should be too hard to implement in shapr since the gizmo it self can already be relocated easily.

I hope this illustrates my point well, as you can see. In shapr the gizmo can already be used this way except once you move objects with it, it no longer snaps which is pretty counter intuitive in my opinion.

PS: Rhino has powerful align tools but since itā€™s gizmo is so versatile I almost never need to use them. A rhino like gizmo behavior would completely remove the need for current align tool in shapr and would be even more intuitive imho.

PS2: Let me actually elaborate on the gizmo functions I imagine.

1. Currently grabbing center of gizmo moves and snaps gizmo while grabbing handles manipulates objects

NEW behavior: grabing center also moves objects and also snaps! when you want to move gizmo, long press any manipulation arrow(to limit direction of movement) or center(for all directions movement) and you essentially switch to moving and snapping gizmo only.

1. When moving and snapping objects in 3D space (by grabing center of gizmo) over another objects surface there should be prompt on release asking whether or not you want to orient to face or keep current orientation.

This is to allow transform objects on all axes but keep orientation. I know that curently you can move objects without prompt, but if you allow to align to surface or not, then you are basically replacing current whole dedicated alignment tool in a more intuitive way.

1. Since at this point you would already have prompt appear after moving object to a snap point using gizmo. You can add option on the prompt asking whether or not should this object be a copy, and in that case also how much copies(repeat operation)

Ok, so I know that having a prompt after moving and snapping seems like an unnecessary extra step. But it would only appear when snapping and your current align tool already has a prompt that simply asks ok or cancel - and onscreen widget to allow mirrored snap.

I think this is very consistent with current UX design and more intuitive solution.

I did mention that I think this could be an optional feature when snapping using gizmo too. So it could work the same.

1-Open a project, select a body/bodies, COPY
2-Close the project, open another project, PASTE the copied body(s)

That will simplify a ton the workflowā€¦

Marco

More than 20 years ago Rhino had snap choices(pop-up menu)! (Multiple curve/line ends on top of each other without choice makes no sense, regardless of argument).