What should be the next feature?

Vector includes are coming this fall.

Just like the text tool.

We have some exciting concepts for a library feature, but we don’t have an ETA yet.

2 Likes

Istvan_Shapr3D3h
Marcus:
My wish list would be.

Logo vector import to extrude logos
Vector includes are coming this fall.
Great, thanks

Text Extrusion
Just like the text tool.
Not seen this? How do you get to it?

Asset library, to save a group and bring it back in for common built items like USB sockets.
We have some exciting concepts for a library feature, but we don’t have an ETA yet.
OK, roadmap, is fine

I mean the text tool is coming just like the vector imports :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Shapr team,

In answering fonthill’s query about the creation of a spiral in Shapr3d, it occurred to me that the gestural input for a circle could be extended for delineating a spiral. At the moment if you scribe a loop 0°-359° you get an arc, 360°- 450°(shown in red dotted line) you get a circle, but beyond that (shown in green dotted line) it reverts to creation of an arc.

Instead of this the last case (green dotted line) could create a spiral, with the number of revolutions of the pencil input, and could be further defined with a dialog box inputs (spiral type, angle or revolutions)

See attached
SPIRALgesture

Edit: In the image the starting “angle” in the dialog box would be based on the amount of looping of pencil…an amount in excess of 450°. Hope this makes sense!

To misquote Alan Kay: “Simple shapes should be simple, complex shapes should be possible”

1 Like

There are infinite number or regular geometries that could be automatically recognized, but the as we recognize more, the recognition will be less accurate. How often do you want to draw a spiral? 1 out of 10 000 times probably. This is probably something that should not be part of the basic interaction, but should have a dedicated tool.

Hi Istvan

Thank you for your reply. Some thoughts:

RE: “How often do you want to draw a spiral? 1 out of 10 000 times probably………should have a dedicated tool.”

To introduce dedicated sketch tools (especially for such a rare requirement) would break a fundamental tenet of the interface:
that sketch elements are created via gestural input and “Tools” act upon these elements and forms derived from them.

For instance, it would be redundant to have a dedicated ellipse tool, when an ellipse is simply a non-uniform scale of a circle.

It would be better to extend functionality of Transform/Freeform/Scale by inclusion of non-uniform toggle.

Similarly, arcs could become conical section curve via the same means, and once it is no longer a neutral curve, an new option button could be attached to highlighted curve to choose between parabolic, hyperbolic, catenary etc.

RE: "as we recognize more, the recognition will be less accurate”

Getting back to spiral definition: let’s say the user needed to scribe 2 full unbroken loops with the pencil before initiating the spiral functionality, then there would be no case of a user creating a spiral when they intended to create a circle. If such an interfacing event could be captured by the software, it might be argued that it could be better assigned to something more useful, because as you say a spiral is 1/10000 requirement. But, the gesture infers that the intent is a spiral, so despite the rarity of need, it would be the logical result.

RE: "infinite number or regular geometries”
EDIT: See my new post below

Import from an SVG would solve pretty much any issues I have. I can accurately draw freehand in Concepts, using my Apple Pencil, any shape I want. If I could import SVG, I could use that or designs from my laptop to create extrusions, easy peasy.

No app is going to do everything that everyone wants when it comes to custom shapes but there is plenty of drawing software for the iPad that will do any of that, most of which is very easy to use and you can export it quickly and easily. OK, not ideal for workflow maybe if you are a professional user but for hobbyists and more occasional users it would keep this app simple enough to be intuitive.

1 Like

Following on from my above post
RE: "infinite number or regular geometries”

Aside from polylines and polygons, I cannot think of what else would need to be sketched.

A solution for the former would largely resolve the latter.

Polylines:

It would be logistical consistent to be able to convert a spline to a polyline while drawing it by jiggling the pencil, in the same manner as converting arc to line segment. This would be a godsend to sketching.

Polygons:

Creating a polyline finishing at start point would create an enclosed shape. It would be advantageous to be able to highlight all perimeter edges at once, by say e.g. double tapping on shape fill (tap once selects shape fill as it is now, but tapping twice highlights all line edges of the enclosed shape) and setting equal constraints for edges and angles to make shape into regular polygon.

In the end though, you have authored this truly elegant piece of software, so I trust your stewardship of it.

I only want what you want: to be able to 3d model without relying on the bloatware that so much of CAD has become. It is for this reason that I believe dedicated icon buttoned sketch tools should be avoided if an alternative can be found.

We did months of experimenting with all kind of gestures, shape recognition, etc. to minimize the number of buttons, and make the “buttonless” interaction as powerful as possible. The problem is that even with the current setup, a significant amount of people have issues with the basics. So we very carefully extend the current gesture set, but with the next release, you can expect quite a lot of improvements regarding sketching.

Vector imports are coming this fall, stay tuned! :slight_smile:

Having searched fairly extensively within this Forum, this seems to be the most logical place to make the following enquiry?

I will be very interested to learn if any progress has been made regarding the possibility of an Asset Library feature.

Hi - not yet. The workaround for now is to create an “asset” workspace that you import into your new designs. The latest Items releases makes it a relatively smooth experience, with folders.

Thank you for your prompt response Daniel, it is greatly appreciated.

From my reading some of the incredible amount of information, available on this web site, the situation was not clear on the Number of Bodies [if that is the correct term, or 3D Objects?] that can be stored in a Single Workspace.

Although I will be changing Software it seems that, for me, reviewing my ‘assets’ will continue virtually unchanged. At present like assets are stored in a File [Workspace] and all the Asset Files are in an Asset Folder.

Cannot wait to get up and running with S3D.

Is it possible to enable Colouring of Lines/Curves/ Edges in a future UpDate?

The ‘Edges Off’ Feature in S3D ScreenShot capture is very useful in many cases, but in some situations some lines need to remain in place:

The second version needs a separation line to show the topmost component is comprised of two parts. When complete I would like other Bodies to remain fully visible within the Translucent Container.

It is understood and accepted that some ‘Lines’ in a Design are essential and cannot be deleted/removed.

A possibility to ‘soften’ the effect of Edges/Lines/Curves would be to enable them to be Coloured.
The resulting effects would enable a reduction in the ‘busyness’ of the first version and also have the ability to emphasise chosen aspects. These being just two examples of many colouring opportunities.

An alternative to ‘Colouring Lines’ would be to have a choice of, say, three/five Line Thicknesses:

Line%20Thickness

Where the thickest line is equal to those currently present within Shapr3D.

Each line being chosen, e.g., to reduce the emphasis on Rounded Edge indication lines.

I would love to have a feature to apply textures and images to surfaces!

4 Likes

Next feature should be a polygonal exporter to support the obj format.
For me, this is the ONLY tool shapr3d is missing.

This screenshot is taken from moi3d. A fairly old piece of software that shares quite a lot of similarities with shapr3d

@Istvan do you think this will be possible?

1 Like

Hi @mzone3d. Totally possible, but unfortunately it’s not a priority right now for us.

1 Like

Ah ok thank you. Has there been any improvements to the quality of the obj export format? It has bad topology when imported in to other 3D programs/viewers…And if not is that on your roadmap in the coming 3-6 months?

1 Like

Hi all,
I love shapr3d. I am slowly learning key parts of this app.
I have 2 must have features…

1. I must start out by asking a question…
    I read somewhere that in order to make a water tight object I need to “Union” the part. If that is correct, here is my first feature request…
    Right now I have to painstakingly tap on every part in my object. ;Copy/move object. ;Tap on each part in object again, where there are many. Select Union. See how time wasting and frustrating this is.
    My first feature request is: let my computer do the Union for me. When I select export to 3d stl file have the app Union the part before export. You can even pop up a dialog box asking user if this is what they want to perform. Or better option is a switch in settings to turn on this feature.
    2nd feature request…
    This is one I have asked for before. I hate/ tare my hair out When I have to select multiple parts. There needs to be a better way! In the Umake app. al you have to do is draw a circle around the objects you want to select. Sooooo much easier.
    Please consider implementing these 2 features. Both of these would save so much time and frustration.