Send colorful designs directly to your slicer with automatic color detection from Visualization.
New: Colors assigned in Visualization are now automatically detected when sending your design to a slicer, letting you set up multicolor prints without manual reassignment.
Try this update and share your thoughts in the comments below.
Why is shapr uploading and/or connecting to the internet when exporting to Bambu Studio? Are you uploading the model to a location and then launching Bambu Studio with a URL to retrieve it?
This is a security and privacy issue that needs to be addressed.
Why would you think it is a security issue? All your Shapr files are already in the cloud. If you share them then they viewable via URL. You don’t have to click the Bambu button.
And probably more importantly it maybe a URI but it is not likely is a web server. If I were making an app that does this I would probably.
#!/bin/bash
# Check if a file argument was provided
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
echo "Error: No .3mf file provided."
echo "Usage: $0 /path/to/file.3mf"
exit 1
fi
# Check if the file exists
if [ ! -f "$1" ]; then
echo "Error: File '$1' not found."
exit 1
fi
FILE_PATH="$1"
# Launch Bambu Studio based on the Operating System
if [[ "$OSTYPE" == "darwin"* ]]; then
# macOS
open -a "BambuStudio" "$FILE_PATH"
elif [[ "$OSTYPE" == "linux-gnu"* ]]; then
# Linux (assuming Bambu Studio command or AppImage is in PATH/associated)
if command -v bambu-studio &> /dev/null; then
bambu-studio "$FILE_PATH" &
elif command -v bambu-studio-appimage &> /dev/null; then
bambu-studio-appimage "$FILE_PATH" &
else
# Fallback to default application handler
xdg-open "$FILE_PATH" &
fi
else
echo "Unsupported operating system: $OSTYPE"
exit 1
fi
I can see the traffic when I hit the button. It is trying to connect and the feature does not work if you prevent the connection.
Shapr files are not already in the cloud. I have cloud turned off. I do not use the sharing feature to view them using a URL.
Of course I don’t have to click the Bambu button but the language used that describes this feature insinuate on device processing only. The only indication of using the cloud is the text near that button that says exporting and uploading. The proof is seeing the attempt to connect and the feature not working if that connection is not allowed.
Do you know which domain it is required to connect to make this work?
I’m running a Pi-Hole on my network and I can’t get the multicolor export to work. So far I had no luck in figuring out what exact denied connection is preventing it.
I didn’t see anything jump out when looking at the pi-hole’s DNS query log that I would associate with either shapr or bambu studio when using this feature.
Alright, I’m now pretty certain that it not working has nothing to do with any remote service connections.
I paused the Pi-Hole completely, flushed my DNS cache and I still get the same issue. Bambu Studio does not recognise the 3mf’s multicolor metadata.
@Jeriz, any ideas why this still fails? I could really use this feature.
EDIT: Oh my god I just realized something! This does work, kinda. Just not in any useful way.
It will prompt you to assign filaments in Bambu Studio only if it’s just multiple objects where every object only has a single color. In which case having “multicolor export” as it implemented now only saves you a few seconds maximum, as assigning filaments to a whole object was never the difficult part in the first place in Bambu Studio.
What I understood as multicolor export is a single body having mutiple colors assigned to different faces. It clearly can be done, as Bambu Studio itself saves objects with assigned filament areas as a 3mf.
But what would the expected behavior be for a model that has faces of different colors? Would that map well into Bambu’s notion of colors and painting? I’m just curious as I avoid this type of multi color print b/c mine always turn out wasteful and messy. Granted I have not spent a lot of time optimizing this type of print.
Well ideally it would translate the model into a polygon object just the same, but add the color metadata for every polygon. The OBJ format has been doing that for 30 years. Unfortunately that doesn’t work to get multicolor objects from shapr into bambu studio. 3mf files bambu studio generates are the object STLs plus the color metadata in a zip wrapper.
Multicolor printing has become a lot less wasteful with the new toolchanger printers. instead of purging filament and loading the next, every color has its own hotend.
Yes, I bought into this but with my limited experience it’s the purge tower waste, switching time, and messiness of having thin outer layers of a color. I was kind of hoping that shapr would have some smarts with multicolor exports but that’s probably best left to the slicer.
Since we are on the topic, shapr is exporting 3mf in the process correct? I did a test awhile ago to see which export format yielded the best print without any modifications and it may have been obj. I do know that I’ve had some multi-object 3mf issues collapsing to the plate from shapr to bambu but I’d have to run some tests again to figure out which is best. If it’s not 3mf then maybe this export feature should allow you to choose which format to use (even if multi-color isn’t supported with a particular format).
Yes, it exports 3mf files, and then opens it with bambu studio. I’m pretty sure it puts the 3mf file in whatever folder you last exported to, it does for me.
When just exporting pure geometry, I’m pretty sure STLs and OBJs are geometrically identical, as both have to do the exact same job. You do have custom resolution settings though when you export STLs.
3mf is a wrapper format, its basically just zip file with a different file type ending. You can rename a 3mf into a zip and peek inside.
I often just start drawing things in Shapr on whatever plane seems most convenient. This means I have to re-orient parts in Bambu Studio to sit on the plate. It’s just two clicks. Before I share project online, I will just re-export the STLs from Bambu again so they are in the correct orientation ready to print. Select the object, right click, and select “Export as one STL”. The geometry will stay the same.
If your color is too thin and you get color bleed, you can increase paint penetration depth in your slicer settings.
Addressing a few of your questions on the topic: how the exported file is opened depends on the slicer you select. For Bambu Studio and OrcaSlicer, we share the file with the external apps by creating a temporary signed link via Shapr3D Cloud.
Regarding the file format, the model is sent as a 3MF file. Filament assignment is then handled by the slicer itself, based on the body colors defined in Shapr3D and exported as part of the 3MF file.
Actually if you think about it. It is already not allowed, what have you done before? Doesn’t OBJ export bring in color info in Bambu? What does Slicer integration do better vs the OBJ export?
I think you’ve misunderstood me. The integration feature did not exist before which we understand. The issue is with the how the new integration is implemented. I have cloud turned off but the bambu integration uploads the model to the cloud as they have now stated. This is what I was saying should not be allowed… turn off cloud but oh… we’ll use the cloud anyway and mislead users in describing the feature by using language such as “Send colorful designs directly to your slicer”.
What did I do before? I saved a 3mf, step, or obj file and opened it in bambu studio. The integration would avoid having to do the file handling on my own. It’s not a big deal but when iteratively printing parts, it would save time (and mistakes since sometimes I export and accidentally open the wrong file in bambu studio).