4.3 - Shapr3D for Mac is here!

Please also make it possible to run the app on two iPads that’s on the same account at the same time. I’ve had it on my iPad Pro for a few years now and I recently upgraded my iPad Mini to the 5th gen.

It would be great if I could work on projects on the go with my Mini. Thank you.

Not official, but I stumbled into a pair of switches that can be flipped inside of iPadOS that make Shapr very usable at night. Not sure if the same thing exists in macOS, but probably?

Just because I have a late 2013 Imac, which ran fine, and works fine for all of my work with other programs, I have not now invest in a whole new Imac because only 2014 will upgrade to Big Sur, I am not able to upgrade to Big Sur now on my late 2013 model iMac…So I am screwed both ways, cannot no use shaper on Imac, and cannot use Big Sur lol, not right…I hate to have to buy a whole new $2000 Machine just to use Shapr but I have to to be able to design my product now. Just after the Central air conditioning went out, the upright freezer went out, and yesterday the Hot Water Heater went out…lol so far a total of $3700 and now another $2k

The new, M1 based macs are a huge leap in performance, especially compared to a 2013 mac, and surprisingly competitive in price.

I’m not saying to buy an expensive mac just for Shapr (especially if you aren’t making money with it), but now seems to be the best time in many years to upgrade in general.

Just an example:
I have a 2019 MBP, i9, 16 gigs of ram, radeon 5500M GPU as a main computer, and an M1 mini, with 8 gigs of ram for testing.
Other than gaming, the M1 mini absolutely destroys the i9 MBP, while being so silent I wouldn’t even know if it’s turned on or off. It loads models faster, Xcode builds faster, uses way less energy etc.

The M1 mini is around 700 dollars, while the MBP was 3000+ if I remember correctly.

I think the lowest barrier to entry for Shapr3D is an iPad Air 4.

On the mac mini i was worried that the 8mb is not enough…and that i would miss out on some of the features of an all in one, but if i get teh new iMac, i will have to wait maybe till July even…so that sucks, i’m stuck between a rock and a hard place, i either have to buy a soon to be outdated 2020 iMac, or wait to get the new one, all because of this, “Only will run on Big Sur” problem.

There is 16gb version of the mini too. It all depends on how big the modells you work with. You might be perfectly fine with 8, but since it cannot be extended later, I would also go for the 16gb version.

The new iMacs are coming to stores just now, I saw 16gb versions available here in Hungary, even though it’s not really the middle of the world, so I think most countries will have at least some supplies. It might take a bit longer to get one in a specific color/customised specifications though.

Let’s not forget one more thing, you don’t just buy a new CPU/OS, but a quite big upgrade on the display side too.

1 Like

Yeh on the new iMac, i wont see them in stores just yet and my apple store is like 100 miles away…

Miken if you want a cheaper solution I can personally testify to the Mac mini. The only difference between 8 and 16gb for Shapr is the difference of the question: “Do I want Shapr to work great with a couple other apps open, or do I want Shapr to work great with Every other app open?”

Hate that your in this spot, but you should know that it’s no exaggeration to say the M1 Mini is in the best spot of money for performance that it’s ever been in, and I dare say it’s one of the best bang-for-your-buck Desktop PCs made in any time period, ever.

If you’re in between a rock and a hard place, I do recommend the rock.

Yeh now I have to decide if I want the new mini or the new iMac at 24” monitor, and its all in one, or I will have to buy a high end monitor to go along with the mini… I would like to have at least 4K on the monitor and 27” along with the mini, and I have to get 16gb and 1TB SSD at least… on both, so basically the cost on the mini about the same as a 24” and you get Touch ID on the keyboard and 6 speakers

You might be able to use your existing iMac monitor as the monitor for the new mini. Check the Apple site for details about your iMac: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Will require the right cable/adaptors.

Thanks for that idea but I’m actually thinking I might as well buy a new machine even though I was hoping my late 2013 would work just fine I’m only like a quarter of the year off and then no more Big Sur

1 Like

I’m using an LG 27UL850 with the mini, I can recommend it in the 400-500$ range, if you go that way.