A ring made of a triple helix

Hi,
I need to do a ring made of 3 interlaced helix (like a ring that would be made of a DNA molecule). i know how to make an helix along a line. how to do around a circle?

any clue?

check out this thread

Thank you. But i need to do it along a circle (a ring), not along a straight cylinder

You just change the plane against which revolve against.

Not sure to understand your point: revolving seems not to work on a circle? Am I missing something?

So there are two big steps to making a helix like that which you are looking for. The first is creating the curved line which will be key to your helix’s shape. The second is sweeping your helix shape against the curved line.

To do this you draw a triangle with its base tangential to the circle (Fancy way of saying point the tip of the triangle to the edge of the circle)

You then use the Revolve tool to revolve the triangle shape around the axis of your circle. Once that is complete you can modify the degree of revolution and the distance to revolve to your desired spec.

Then you create your helix’s 2d shape. You finally sweep your helix 2d shape using the edge of your revolved triangle as the “sweep edge”.

The undescribed rule to revolve is that for the initial revolve to succeed it must result in the “front face” revolving into the “back face” of your closed shape.

I haven’t understood your proposal. If you have a little more time to spare, would you mind giving some explanatory images of the main steps that you propose? Many thanks in advance!

They are shown in the thread I linked.

If you can upload a sketch of your idea i can take a crack at an example

I’m not good at hand drawing but I guess that you can grab the idea:

Only 2 helix in my drawing. Wish to have a triple helix in the project…

Thank you!!

So trying to do this myself and it really looks u need a Revolve around a round axis… a round axis is not a thing.

Thank you for trying. If the dev read this thread: this could be a new function for a future release…

@Totoleheros
The means to create your requirements seem to already exist within S3D?:

This is what I need. Could you explain how this was achieved?

Yes I could explain how it was achieved.
It would take too much time to write an adequate explanation and as an ordinary Forum Member adequate facilities are not available, to me, that would enable production of a suitably sized video on this subject.
Time permitting, I am happy to work with anyone prepared to demonstrate, via their reciprocal input, commitment to achieve a result. My anticipation is response consisting of ScreenShots and explanation of progress/problems.

Please consider the following:
Please describe how much you understand about S3D so that we do not waste each others time.

I do NOT expect an answer to the above and it has been tendered to encourage thought about open ended questions and whether time would be better spent on creative use of S3D. Just because an individual cannot achieve something does not mean it is an impossible task.

Alternatively you may choose to begin, the rest may be easier than you imagine [?]:

1. You already know what is needed, namely a Helix that can be duplicated appropriately.
    So if you can create the needed Helix you are over Hurdle #1, if not let ‘search’ be your friend and search this Forum.
  2. There is a clue in the Last ScreenShot above. Look closely at the spacing.
  3. If you study Helix creation you will find it is great if you need a ‘coil spring’ like object but not so good if you want to bend that coil into a circular or ring shape.
    Consider the possibilities that are available to you within S3D tol enable the needed ‘change of direction’ of the Helix [or portion of Helix?]. Look closely again at the spacing.
  4. You may determine that it is going to need quite a few iterations of your Helix portions and will need a means of copying and distributing them appropriately, dare I say, around a Circle or if your prefer a Ring?
  5. Frankly within 3 and 4, above there is only one ‘centre/center’ of importance.

My objective, in compiling the above, is to encourage 3D thought and experiment.

Ok, if I understood your point, the steps would be to make 3 ‘classical’ helix along a straight line. Each portion would then be copied along a circle to mimic a revolve function along a circle? This could do the trick but wouldn’t be very clean. Or, I misunderstood your solution (quite mysterious way to answer by the way :smile:).

I am only agreeing to help anyone willing to put effort into the task. Please forgive my efforts to achieve my objective.

Lets try another way to start this process.
Create a ✽Single 360º Turn Helix, with the Helix Diameter to suit your chosen Ring and with a Height sufficient to comfortably contain three such Helix.
E.g., my version has 3 x Rings each containing 48 Turns, and the Hight of each single Helix is 1.5mm meaning overall they are spaced at 0.5mm centres.
Aim for something like this, do trial sizes first don’t wait until the end when it may be impossible to cram everything in:

Starting with ✽ Helix Transform > Move+Copy, placing the Pivot Point on the Circle Centre, so the Lower End of the first Helix can be aligned and covered with by the Beginning of the copied Helix.

Accurate alignment is paramount.
Repeat as required.
Keep organised within Items, as you progress. Do not wait to complete the first Ring before tidying up.

Hopefully this will remove some of the mystery, but please be aware I am running out of time with this project.

1 Like

Thank, cristal clear now. All the best.

@Totoleheros
Thanks for the update, hope we can all look forward to seeing your vision of your Design😎