Any feature ideas?

Hey, that’s a pretty cool list, thanks for the feedback. Many of these things are in progress and/or scheduled.

Can you elaborate on this? I am not sure I understand the problem.

Every time I use the subtract tool it creates a duplicate body (duplicate of the body I intended to subtract from) this seemed like a bug. Haven’t been in the app since the recent update so this might have been fixed.

There is an option on the left “Keep originals”. Just turn it off, and then the original bodies will disappear after the operation.

I think he means leave original body on subtract? How about subtract + intersect (Subtract body 1 from body 2, but leave the intersection as a new body)?

I’d like to see “Extrude to next surface” where body1 is “subtracted from”, at the surface of body 2. Easier to make mating parts that way.

Coincident is my vote

Three years on, is this function available yet? Thanks

Not yet - but still on the roadmap. Can’t tell you an ETA, but we are getting there

Please include a radius tool for 2d sketching. That is: select two intersecting lines on a sketch, and be presented with a tool similar to the 3d radius/chamfer tool.

Why? Because sometimes it is more efficient to finalize the shape, then extrude it. For example, because the shape of extruded splines can not be edited, if you want to change the solid you have to delete it, edit the 2D sketch and re-extrude. But then, all radiuses have to be recreated as well. So, each time you want to modify a spline-based solid, you have to recreate all the radiused edges each time, even though they haven’t changed. This wastes a lot of time. If you don’t want to give us parametric tools, then at least give us more drawing tools so we don’t have to rebuild unchanged geometry during cycles of sketch-extrude-evaluate-delete-resketch-re-extrude.

In general, I would like to see the Shapr team spend more time with real-world use testing. I think this sort of usability issue (of which there are many) could be discovered earlier in the development process.

1 Like

I’d like to see iCloud support (not exporting, like the way it works now. But synchronising, link Pages and Pixelmator). So I’d see the latest version of my iPad design, also pop up on Shapr3D my Mac…

5 Likes

2 Likes

Do you already know when will the Windows version be available?
Drawing derivation and Windows version together are a game changer!

Shapr3D for Windows is in closed beta at the moment, and we don’t have release date for it yet. But rather sooner than later (not years from now).

1 Like

I think it would be really awesome if you could hand write input for editing dimensions in the pop up window. The interface could look exactly the same but you could just scribble over it with handwritten numbers.

Using the apple pencil with the app is already so intuitive and natural, I feel like this would an amazing addition and really speed up work flow. Apple allows this feature system wide on any text box May be able to utilize that and implement it pretty easily!

If this is already a feature I’ve missed I’d love to know how to enable it!

1 Like

‘Select all bodies’ to move them out of the way would be a feature long missed. Selecting dozens of shapes and forms and layers in the ‘all items’ menu doesn’t cut it. Maybe a lasso function as well ? And also it must be possible to group or combine or merge bodies so that they act as ONE object.

Terrific ideas! I have 2d characters and objects that I have created in Serif’s Affinity Designer. It would be great to be able to transform them into 3d objects that I could print. Maybe i’ll find there already is some way to do this I am new to the forum and starting to look around.

On the modeling side there should be a way to extrude/push to a depth relative to the back wall (or any surface) of the box (or whatever) so that if change size of the box the depth of push/pull changes but always stays same relative distance from specified wall.

Hello,

This app is very very impressive. Modeling is great. I have two major features that would make your developers very wealthy.

If you could implement cloud storage of files (or even just implementation into the iPad’s cloud) you would enable corporations and engineering teams to swap the desktops out for iPads. This tool would require more ANSI compliant drawing abilities but if implemented correctly Solidworks would have a new competitor very quickly.

Another suggestion would be implementation of a slicer for 3D printers. With that set up I could just put my prints on a micro SD directly from my iPad and print away!

Thank you so much,

Notorious

1 Like

Scientific Calculator, as part of numeric entry would be a great feature.

1 Like

I’m currently learning CAD in university and tried to do create all parts in Shapr3D on iPad, in addition to NX on my PC. Most of the things work freakishly well, even better than in NX, but not being able to quickly make standardized threads is a deal breaker for an engineer. Having to calculate the inner/outer diameter of both sides of a thread and drawing the cutout are just things you don’t want to waste your time with when CADing. Also, subtracting from opposing threads doesn’t do it for an engineer, as industry norms usually require male and female dimensions to differ.

IMHO, a basic threading implementation with a simplified 3d visualization like in NX would be perfect for frequent use.

Additionally, I would love n-times multiplication along a line (for example as an addition to the translate tool). That way, one could just select a body and a line and define how many duplicates to generate. The duplicates then appear at the same distance to the line as the original body, equally spaced n times along the length of the line.

This could even be extended to more complex curves, with the option to change the orientation of the bodies along the curve (always keeping them perpendicular to the line, for example). One could then easily duplicate the spine of a wheel and easily distribute the duplicates without having to calculate the enclosed angles and manually copy-pasting n times.

Hope the feedback helps,
Benjamin

4 Likes

Hi,
I am new to Shapr3D community and investigating if Shapr3D could be my upcoming 3D tool for business purposes.
Currently I would like to have a sheet metal tool to create professional sheet metal parts including unbending functionality.
I am not sure if this feature is currently in a way included, but I am also looking for the possibility to import point clouds as txt or csv file and then I would like to array a part, for example a sphere, to all points automatically.
Are these features on your roadmap and when will they be available?

Hi @ALEXX, sheet metal is certainly on the roadmap, but we don’t have a dedicated sheet metal tool yet, and I also can’t give you an ETA for it unfortunately. We don’t support point cloud import either at the moment.

1 Like