Grouping sketches and moving to new folders

Hope someone can help I seem to be running around in circles in the pic you will see that I have 2 sketches. These are 2d on the same plane representing a sheet metal part
In the part highlighted in blue I want to group the 3 sketches and lock them together in 1 part then move them to a new folder as a part on their own

The problem
1 I cant see any way to group items together without having to select each component each time
2 I cant see how to then either copy and paste to a new folder or move to new folder

As can see in the drop down menu I have over 400 sketches in one folder all on one plane.

It would apear that if I select a new plane then a new folder is created
But how do I force that to happen when I’m working in the same plane

I appreciate there must be a simple way to do this. Or a work flow process I need to follow. Or a way to hide sketches that I’m not working on. But that looks like its only available for different folders. So how do I move to a new folder or a specific part folder

All while working in the same flat plane not 3D at this stage. Cos I need to draw all the sheet metal parts first

@Jayemery
If you want to hide different Sketches they will have to be placed on different Planes.
Use Add > Construction Plane > choose the Offset option
Planes can live as little as 0.001mm apart.

See:

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/how-to-move-a-sketch-into-a-different-folder/5732

If you want to go the Folders route see:

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/folders-for-desgins/8858

You will have to separate your Sketches in to separate Designs.
To do this go to the Design Thumbnails Page and Duplicate a Design having ‘different’ Sketches
Keep the Original, untouched, then delete unwanted portions of the Sketch in the Copy Design
This can be repeated with further Copies.

Thanks for that. Ill give it a bash
Next is there any way to group sketches together in the hi lighted pic there are three different sketches but sometimes there could be a lot more can you group a number together permanently then add to them and re group etc to build a model that does not change as you develop it ?

For instance the 3 cut outs and their positions will always be the same. Group them together and save.
Then the outside edge may change from Modles to model group and save
Appreciate your help
Jay

@Jayemery
In the example of three ‘different’ Sketches in reality they are one Sketch.
Hide the Sketch Plane containing the three Sketches and they all hide.

In the following the Design contains the three Sketches:

Now the above Sketch is Duplicated and the only Rectangle is retained, then the Circle:

and of course then the Triangle:

Lastly, above the three Designs are Imported from the Files.app back into the same design.

Each Sketch and the Body it can create may be handled in a similar manner.

I understand where you are coming from, it would make good sense.
Unfortunately S3D does not have organisation facilities, at present, so use has to be made of the features and facilities available.

Please can you tell us more about:

It would be useful to better understand your needs, e.g., do they have to be separated?

Ok thanks. A bit frustrating as you are aware hopefully this will be developed

Kind regards
Jay Emery

The ultimate wood fired ovens
01905 621636 or mobile 0777 4418998

ps
Please like us on our new face book page to keep up to date on what we are up to new developments, case studies and recipes

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bushman-Wood-Fired-Ovens/246958595468300

Or

the Utube broadcast channel for videos on things we do
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDingleyDell/videos

| Gelphyn
September 9 |

• | - |

@Jayemery
In the example of three ‘different’ Sketches in reality they are one Sketch.
Hide the Sketch Plane containing the three Sketches and they all hide.

In the following the Design contains the three Sketches:

Now the above Sketch is Duplicated and the only Rectangle is retained, then the Circle:

and of course then the Triangle:

Lastly, above the three Designs are Imported from the Files.app back into the same design.

Each Sketch and the Body it can create may be handled in a similar manner.

I understand where you are coming from, it would make good sense.
Unfortunately S3D does not have organisation facilities, at present, so use has to be made of the features and facilities available.

Please can you tell us more about:

Jayemery:

For instance the 3 cut outs and their positions will always be the same. Group them together and save.
Then the outside edge may change from Modles to model group and save

It would be useful to better understand your needs, e.g., do they have to be separated?

@Jayemery
In your situation you really do need to get organised and stay organised.

S3D are not alone in not having an organisation feature.
Control of Files and Filing has, and probably will be, the sole domain of Apple unless you are also a Windows user - Microsoft?
Adding Dimensioning and Text to S3D are high on the Wishlist of many users expectations, I have been amongst this Group since my first Design.
Recently I advanced a pet ‘want/wish/need’ to really hop up Annotating S3D, the outcome revealed Software that use the ‘Thumbnails’ as a first/temporary storage solution. To see a brief history of Annotation within S3D visit:

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/what-are-your-3d-annotation-use-cases-and-workflows/4560

Read to the end, or scroll down at least, to find a Link to what I believe is the best option so far for Annotation integrated into a workflow.

Going back to another long time favourite Organisation, Search S3D [Top right of every Forum Page] for Files.app, it is certainly saying something [as at 2020-09-09].

NB. I do not have anything to sell and no longer garner income from illustrating or editing, but do believe that S3D is the best cost effective solution for the vast majority of folk who need[or simply want] to design in 3D.