How to measure a distance that doesn’t use guide points

In the sketch I have attached I have been trying to figure out how to measure this vertical distance between two lines or planes that are at a 30° angle to horizontal, but parallel to one another. Do I have to make extra geometry in order to measure this dimension or can I measure it using the solid bodies that already exist?

The only way I would know how to do it would be to create a three point plane on the stairs edge and then you can measure by selecting the plane and the face of the top rail.

Thanks for the suggestion Dino.

I made a construction plane using three points on the bullnose of two treads. This gave me a plane that was parallel to the top surface of the handrail.

When I selected the Measure command and tried point to point, I couldn’t pick anything on the construction plane to get a vertical measurement to the top surface of the Handrail.

Am I missing something?

Bob

Don’t use the measure command. Select your plane then if you are using a keyboard, shift + select the top face of the handrail so that they are both selected. at the bottom center of the screen it will say “1 Plane & 1 Face” followed by the measurement.

Hey @bobsammer,
You don’t need to create extra geometries, just select the top face of the rail and an edge of a step and pick parallel distance in measurements. As long as your steps are parallel with the rail it’ll give you the right measurement.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Daniel.

I may not have drawn it correctly for you to see that I’m interested in the vertical distance between the two angled and parallel planes. You are correct however if I wanted the normal distance between the two parallel planes.

Bob

Sorry for the misunderstanding Bob. You could use a vertical construction plane to split the body in the desired place and measure the distance between the edges.

Thanks again for your assistance, Daniel.

Bob