Modeling a 3d spiral spring

Hi,
I need to model a 3d spiral spring, or even just a 3d spiral line/path. Can you help , please?

@Ansadek
This is just one way to produce a ‘Spring’ there are others.
Sketch > Circle draw a Circle appropriate to the diameter Spring that you need
Add > Construction Plane > Perpendicular to curve at point shown here on the right of the Circle

Tap on the Circle to select it’s Face it will turn brighter Blue
Drag the upward pointing Arrow until you have the length of Spring needed [in this case 20 was selected]

Add > Construction Axis Through a Cylinder or Cone
Tap on the Cylinder

Tap with your Finger on the Construction Plane if necessary zoom in to be able to place your finger accurately.
This should zoom in on the construction plane.
Draw a Circle representing the Thickness/Diameter of the Material needed for your Spring
Move this Cirle relative to the Construction Axis to provide the Diameter of your Spring
Tools > Revolve select the Circle just drawn Next select the Axis

Set the Height [top left] to the Length of your Spring and hit :heavy_check_mark:
Set the Angle to 3600 [in this case = 10 turns] choosing the your appropriate number and hit :heavy_check_mark:

Delete the Cylinder Leaving your Spring.

4 Likes

Greeting,

Here’s another way to create a spiral spring. Sketch a line that represents the center axis.
Draw a circle the diameter of the rod at a distance from the line. That distance is the radius of the spring.
Go to Tools, select Revolve.
Tap the pencil inside the circle (now highlighted). Select Next then tap the line. At the top input box, put in your desired height and then number of turns x 360 (one turn = 360 deg). Done.

-Mike

5 Likes

Thanks a lot Gelphyn and MikTiger for your insightful replies.
Unfortunately, what I am trying to model is not a cylindrical spiral (spring), but rather a conical one, as Ivtrued to show in the attached sketch.
I wonder if it can be done via Shaper3d?

1 Like

@Ansadek
Please see:

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/conical-helix/4926

2 Likes

Can you please help me.
I need to draw a spring revolving around an arc.

Instead of the spring revolving around a straight axis like shown in the tutorial, I need the axis to be an arc.

How can I do that?

@drkhateeb
In the following use your own dimensions, this is just one way to convey the method to achieve the objective. The actual dimensions used in this example can be better viewed by tapping on an the image to expand.

Sketch the Diameter of the Material to be used to create the Spring, Sketch a Vertical Line about which to Revolve the Circle created:

Use Tools > Revolve to create the Diameter of the Coil Spring and then give it the required height by typing in the appropriate dimension:

Sketch a Circle that passes through the Coil Axis as shown. Use Transform > Move/Rotate > and drag the Pivot Point to the centre of the. Circle:

Ensure that the :heavy_plus_sign: Icon is Selected and drag to create the first Copy, then the second Copy and so on:

Use Tools > Union to finish the Spring.

4 Likes

Thank you very much. Very helpful. It worked perfectly. Much appreciated

2 Likes

@drkhateeb
Thanks for your response it is useful to hear what has worked for others.

I am using this opportunity to improve my input by adding to the overall information regarding Helix on various Paths.
If there is a requirement to have a less pronounced Curve the Radius of Curvature can be increased. This will naturally reduce the Copying Angle as demonstrated in the following:

The Angle Lines being centred on the Faces of the Helix and providing the Angle to use for Copying.

This Link aims to tie together similar Threads:

2 Likes

There is no specific tool to create a conical spring.

However, there is a workaround that takes just a few steps and will produce a conical spring just like in your rough sketch.

Are you, or anyone else, still interested in kowing how to do it?

If so then I will attempt to upload a video.

Here’s a quick and dirty approach.

1 Like

I appreciate the video but I was offering my own approach if anyone was interested.
I’ve seen other approaches where you first draw a flat spiral then project it onto a cone but this involves actually drawing a spiral.
My approach is to first create a helix starting with a long narrow rectangle so it resembles a DaVinci helicopter of sorts with the rectangle cross section.
Then create a cone with the same height and width as the helix and shell it.
Centre the cone inside the helix then interest the two bodies.
This will leave a spiral with a square cross section.
Now draw whatever profile you desire to the side of the cross section before finally sweeping your new profile to follow the spiral.
Now delete the original spiral.

2 Likes

Yes, I know you were offering your’s. And yes, I used the spiral sketch projected on a cone. Again, it was rather Q&D.
Thank you for outlining your approach. It does look (sound) familiar.
I might be wrong but I believe @Robert did a similar if not the same version as yours. Not sure where the thread is at the moment.

2 Likes

God morning,

that’s right, it was in October 2020

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with others that creating a conical spiral would be a welcome feature in Shapr3d.

You know what I love though about forums like this…?

…I love seeing other people’s creativity and novel approaches and solutions to problems just like this.

And, I actually enjoy the challenge of finding my own solutions to problems.

4 Likes

I totally agree with you!
I too like a good design challenge from time to time.
Regards, Mike

1 Like

I created this conical spiral for a project I’m working on…

I exported to affinity designer to complete the design.

2 Likes