Please separate the color function out of visualization

The visualization function drops the FPS significantly on my M1 iPad pro and M1 imac, and all the line borders are disappeared, it makes me quite painful when colorizing my models and especially for the tiny parts and complex shapes.
Please makes the color function stand-alone like it was before.

8 Likes

I have the same problem . The visualize function is quite nice, but perhaps colors and visualization could be 2 different things to make the workflow less laggy.

5 Likes

I tend to agree with you and @sander. For me, it’s a matter of seamless workflow.

When I’m modeling a project I like to give color attributes to different parts as the project grows in complexity with additional bodies. This helps with differentiating parts visually. And, most of the time it doesn’t matter what color(s) I use. I just like to easily see the different components while modeling.

A good example is from the Shapr3D presentation on Visualizations yesterday. In particular the camera presentation. It is great to have an easy to use method of adding and changing materials to provide a dynamic presentation for clients. Note that the camera and all related components were already modeled (except for the addition of push button during the presentation).

For me, it’s a matter of the workflow to get to the finished camera before materials are added.

1 Like

I feel the same way, for the same reasons. Add the colors to the modeling space just the same as before.

Maybe make Visualization a separate module like the Manufacturing drawings? I realize it behaves like a separate module now. Visualization is fantastic at what it does, but having to jump into the Visualization module for simple color changes doesn’t flow well, and seems a bit overkill.

2 Likes

Thank you for letting us know. This is an area which we are keeping an eye on. Could you help me understand a few things:

What is your main use-case for coloring during modeling?

If there would be a stand-alone Color option during modeling, would you still like to have your color changes synced to Visualization as well?

1 Like

I use colors for 2 main reasons

To add : as a designer I do also care how it looks and it should hint towards the final material.

I use the colors option to pre-layout my render for keyshot . In keyshot a given color will relate to a given material within a hierarchy, meaning when adding a material to one color it will add the same material to all objects with this color with that folder . This makes texturing go very fast . If for example I have 30 bolts in galvanized steel I just add the material to one of them and I am done for all 30. materials then stay linked so changing them is also very fast .

I can see that visualisation has a lot of potential. I actually was searching for something like this for the iPad for a long time and I am very exited to see this development within Shapr. However we should be very honest that the current state of visualisation can not be taken very seriously yet as a professional tool. There are simply not enough materials and options available to visualize what you imagine, meaning you end up with a product visualization where you have to tell your client : “it’s going to be something like this , but then in a different wood, and different fabric” It just brings more confusion to the table and is absolutely not helpful at this moment. I think the overselling of the visualize feature in your videos is not really a good thing.

Things that at least need to be added to make it usable :

• adding own textures and bumps
  • being able to rotate textures . Especially important in woodlike materials .
  • turning light and shadows off

My proposition would be to have the visualize function integrated in the first layer of shapr . You can simply choose to turn it on or off . materials and colors can be dragged on from the first layer as before . offcourse you need to think of some kind of feedback to make it a good experience.
This option would also be a good way to deal with the lag and crashes users experience in their complex models, because personally I don’t think it’s a good trade-off.

Please understand I say these things with utmost respect for your company. I love your product and use it every day .

2 Likes

I have the same problem with some models . Many parts of the models are invisible in visualize mode somehow and it’s impossible to apply a material or color .

2 Likes

My use case is same as above.

Yes, it would be good if the basic colors from the 3D space transferred over to the “default materials” in the visualization space. This is not imperative, but seems like it should work that way.

I’m using basic colors to differentiate parts or set a basic concept of what I’m going to end up using for color. But I don’t use visualization on every model, just as I don’t create a manufacturing drawing for every model.

2 Likes

My workflow is modeling in shapr3D and importing it into blender for more precise texture and rendering, so for me, the color function in shapr3D is to label different parts just like some replies here.

And, it would be great to sync the color with visualization for some sample cases that I won’t need blender for photo-realistic rendering.

One more asking, if you can add more output formats like .glb .fbx etc, that would be awesome for someone like me who uses blender or UE to rendering.

1 Like

Hey guys, we hear you, and totally understand that the additional tap to set color can be frustrating at first. We are thinking of fixing this by improving the performance of Visualization, and making it faster to switch back and forth between modeling and Visualization. Wdyt?

1 Like

Thank you and @alex.marton for adding to the dialog. I’m fine with having simple color selection as part of Visualization however it needs to be easy to use. Here’s an example of my frustration selecting colors on the iPad Pro. First, I’m a lefty and like having the menus swapped horizontally.

Whenever I want to color a body, I select Visualization on the right and then select my color on the left. Then I have to go to the upper right to close the color pane which causes the Item List to close. I have reopen the Item List to continue modeling as needed. Here I show adding a color, then re-adding the color due to the addition of the Union boolean. You can see the back and forth I have to go through.
I would prefer to have the Visualization pane open on the right for ‘lefty’ use and on the left for ‘righty’ use. And, leave the Item List pane open if previously set that way.
-Regards,

1 Like

Yes, we are aware of the issue where the Items panel is closed but not reopened and we are planning to address it in a future release!

That would certainly solve one part of the problem. The app crashes often when I open visualize to apply color.

In addition reducing the amount of steps needed to color something .

I move around or in my object to apply color . This movement is very hard in visualize mode . So I am thinking how to overcome that issue. Perhaps I can select all surfaces in regular modeling mode before changing to visualize mode. I will need to try out more .

Well, it definitely should not crash. If you run into that issue again please contact our support team.

Yes, you can select faces before going into Visualization.

2 Likes

Yes we still can add color into different body & face ,just take a little bit more step ,but the tools menu will simplify.

1 Like

I feel it’s important to have at least some basic colours when modelling. It gives a certain perspective to the model and allows one to visualise the end product even without full texture/materials added. It’s great to be able to use the visualisation once the model is completed and apply the desired materials/textures.

3 Likes

Today I finally went back to an earlier 4.12.2 - Efficient, fast, rational. Fun. What a relief!

I would trade the Visualizing any day for being able to set the color and transparence/(wire frame) the ‘old way’.

The extremely cumbersome roundtrip to Visualize do not get even close to this removed option. It is not that I don’t appreciate the rendering part but I find it, in my environment, to limited other than for a quick sketch (I usually work with Maxwell Render and external render-farms). And if so, I have to copy the designs, as the colors are ‘recursive’ and makes it impossible to resume work.

I often construct intricate mechanical stuff and it becomes very complicated to work as there is no easy transparens/coloring option. (the hidden edges option if fine but insufficient)

I have to dig up a copy of 5.70.x to use - working back and forth between iPads. The evolution of Sharp3D is remarkable! But why this kind of ‘downgrade’, totally unexpected!

And I would be happy with a total isolation between modeling and Visualizing!

• screen pict here but I am unable to upload -

btw:

Please give the text accommodating the icons an option do be disabled. Am I the only one that from time to time is working on a iPad Mini? Precious real estate wasted (for an experienced user).

/BK

1 Like

There are several threads about it.

Good to hear! I must have missed that it (threads) was a great movement.

A solution was also promised, written in April

‘No release date yet set in stone, but coming relatively soon.’… as folders, from at least 2020?

Still, it cant hurt to let you voice to be heard… And I do find this kind of absolute downgrade absurd. Waiting/wishing for function xyz is fine. Really. But getting major functions removed? Leave that to MS.

/BK

Totally understand the frustration. We did make promises, but unfortunately, in the meantime, we had to deprioritize the project as it raised a lot more questions than anticipated.

We still have the issue on our radar, but at this point, I couldn’t confidently say when it will arrive. This said, if you have a few minutes to share what causes you frustration in detail, it always helps (please share with me via email daniel@shapr3d.com)

1 Like

Sorry, I just couldn’t stop myself… :rofl:

It would be nice to have the option to specify a material for visualization along with a separate ‘custom’ colour specifically for design view (not just the substitute colour that Shapr3D designates).