SVG file exports for Shaper Origin

Got my Shaper Origin a couple weeks back. Like many others I really like the fact that I can design on the go with my iPad.

I tried using thinker pad to convert to svg but when I save the files and try to view it in my Origin it does not show. Does somebody have a solution for this?

Many thanks!

1 Like

Actually, I turns out it is there. It confused me too, in Shaper Hub the image seems to be an empty snap shot. However, if you then import from Shaper Hub to the local Origin on tool workspace. The boundary lines appear there.

1 Like

Hello,

Some software does not show drawings if they are placed on another plane than the one defined by the X-Y axes. Can you please try to orient the drawing to the X-Y plane before exporting from Shapr3D?

1 Like

SVG export would really improve my workflow too.

Just wanting to add my voice as another Shaper Origin user I canā€™t wait for SVG export support! Thanks for building such a great product. I will very excited when SVG is a supported export.

I use Shapr3d for design work and then one of the following:

1. Export as stl to 3d print
  2. Export to Fusion360 (hobbyist) and build CAM for a CNC Router
  3. Export to Fusion360 and convert to SVG (thereā€™s a plugin) before doing final edit in Inkscape and then onto a CO2 Laser to cut/etch.

It would be really great to have a direct SVG export option, especially one that correctly tags the dimension units as mm (or inches for non-metric users).

Maurice

1 Like

Hi!

We are working on it for a while now, so you can expect it soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just downloaded Shapr 3D on my M1 iPad proā€¦ damn, when this SVG option comes Iā€™ll sign up in a heartbeat! Will be so nice to have as a companion to my Shaper Origin :heart:

1 Like

Thatā€™s 2 weeks from now :slight_smile: I think itā€™s a good time to sign up, as we are running a Summer Sale campaign at the moment.

1 Like

Can I ask you something about Shaper Origin? I read something about itā€™s operating concept: with no metal chassis like a classic cnc, it corrects the path instead of forcing the bit through the path so if you have to cut a long line maybe it will not be clean and straight but with a lot of minimal corrections here and there. What is your experience?

P.s. I have Shapr3D pro subscription and I want to buy a cnc

1 Like

I havenā€™t really had issues with accuracy. It compensates for human unsteadiness very well. The only times when there was any deviation; were when I was impatient and moved the device too quickly or when wasnā€™t sufficient domino tape for the device to ascertain itā€™s position accurately enough.

It is amazingly accurate in my opinion. I just installed an over the air feature update. So it keeps getting better too. SVG file exports from Shapr3D will definitely simplify using it.

3 Likes

As Fillister says, itā€™s quite accurate.
As long as you watch all off the videos provided by Shaper and follow their directions on lighting in your workshop, tape-usage, offset cut and finish cut etc. Then it should behave very precise. And again you still need a flat worktop and the material you route also has to be quite flat to avoid any inaccuracies.

But one thing you have to be aware of: itā€™s a 2D router, you have to think 2D on the stuff you design although you design it in 3D. This means the Origin will only route in the one depth you tell it to, until you manually type in a new depth on the unit. So you canā€™t, letā€™s say, start at 5mm deep in one end of a path, and have it end at 15mm deep at the end of the path.

A gantry CNC will/can give you that capability.

Hope this clarifies a bit :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Will ā€œStandardā€ include the SVG export? :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you Fillister and Jacobstorgaad! I think for now Shaper Origin is a little too ā€œmagicā€ and less ā€œpracticā€. I think I will get a boring standard cnc :frowning:

Hi Jacob,

Our team is actively working on SVG export, so stayed tuned because in a few weeks you will find this option within the Standard tier :wink:

2 Likes

How about this? I have been waiting for project for this to justify investment.

https://www.yetitool.com/Products

Signed up and waiting with excitement :slight_smile:
Hope youā€™ve taken into account the coloring of the fills and strokes which is needed for the SVGā€™s to work well with the Shaper Origin !? :wink:

And that i.e. circles/curves are not broken into ugly CAD-jagged lines when exportedā€¦ :see_no_evil: Sorry, last experience was with an old SketchUp that needed me to set the number of subdivision a circle should consist ofā€¦ :smiley:

1 Like

Amazing! :slight_smile: When itā€™s out donā€™t hesitate to share your feedback. Unfortunately adding colouring is further down the roadmap. However, in this version there will be an option to make the lines continuous when exporting in order to avoid the jagged line effect you described.

1 Like

Ok, then a quick trip to Illustrator will be needed for now.

Fortunately I have it too. :sweat_smile: But will most likely be a few Shaper Origin users that wonā€™t start using the svg export until coloring is added.

If paths in the SVG was tagged with an ID or class, i.e. ā€œoutsideā€, ā€œon-lineā€, ā€œpocketā€, ā€œanchorā€, ā€guideā€ then a quick script could add the correct colors.

Donā€™t hesitate to share test exports, will be more than happy to check for compatibility with the Shaper Origin :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Tomorrow? Seems like this feature has been delayed often based on forum search.

1 Like