What new features in Shapr3d would close the gap up to the big guys?

If you want to have your own features tool database, you have to make it once and reuse , simple as this. So dear developers, I think we have dream here to come true. Please add shape library that can be tapped and any predefined shape imported
Then mechanical guys will create their desired thread interfaces. Plastic shapers will add locking clips and metal insert interfaces. Wood lovers will add pins wedges etc. and show to grandkids how easy it is to design :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Short List of Features

1. Array tool
  2. Selection Box
  3. Joining tool - coincident
  4. View lock - ex. top-down so I can fake a drawing / 2D
1 Like

Hi Mike,

What does 3. and 4. mean?

I have couple of years background in Solidworks. I used to love it but today it has two main disadvantages: first -> it’s only for Windows (I hate Windows); second -> it doesn’t have mobile app for design… so I don’t want to go back to it.

What I miss the most from Solidworks are

SURFACE TOOLS and 3D sketches.

They are so powerful and allow to create very complex shapes faster than Shapr3D allows today.

Here You can watch what I mean
–> https://youtu.be/fA2-i34UVUo
–> https://youtu.be/lHxMuE3vWlE

Some rendering option is also a good idea.

P.s
… and how it is possible in XXI century that we don’t have CIRCULAR or LINEAR PATTERNS :wink: ???

7 Likes

Implementation of variational sweep using direct modeling would be a great tool.
Likewise, lofting along a given path/s.

3 Likes

I think there are some improvements and enhancements to visibility options. Right now there is only on or off.

• Move transparency out of color and make it a visibility option. Keep it part of subscription if you like.

• I would like to see a SOLO option. A button to turn off everything but the selection. Unclick the button to undo the SOLO. Audio mixers have a similar function. Mute everything but the selected channel.

• The way visibility works in folders is odd to me. When toggling the :eye: on the folder it turns OFF all contents of the folder, but within the folder the :eye: on each item stays ON. If I want to turn on one item within the folder I have to turn ON the entire folder and manually turn OFF everything but the one item I want. It would be better for my workflow if the folder :eye: toggled the contents :eye: as well.

I really enjoy shapr3Ding. I would enjoy it more if I spent less time toggling visibility. (And selecting items, as has been discussed in other threads.)

2 Likes

My top missing features are:

• A solo button as mentioned by @realdrogo. I am spending so much time toggling visibility since I have quite a lot of objects and a deep directory structure.
  • A “jump to directory” button which opens the directory of the currently selected directory.
  • 3D splines, being able to move spline control points not only in the x-y plane but also in z direction.
  • A repeat-object functionality in case one wants to create e.g. 100 instances of an object.
1 Like

UPDATE: drawings are finally here: 4.0 - 2D drawings + new pricing

Something I would love to see, is alignment tools.

I am a largely CNC Machining based user, and I’m used to alignment tools in many other programs.

For example You draw two objects…

You select them both, then use a justification menu to align, and join.

Horizontal Align
Vertical align
Center align
Inside edge align
Outside edge align

this makes creation of complex shapes so much faster.

I would absolutely love to see this!

Keep up the amazing work!

Have you tried our Align tool?

Hi Istvan! Is there a video about this? I remember seeing this mentioned, however I cannot seem to ever get the feature to be available. It remains grayed out. I’m sure it must be something I’m doing wrong.

Should it be available in 2d mode?

Thanks so much!

Coming to shapr3d from Onshape, I really miss deterministic use of “coincident”, i.e. the possibility to select two items (line and a vertex/point), and make them (or the line extension) be coincident. You get somewhat similar result now by snapping to a line, but if you have overlapping lines, it is difficult/impossible to select which line you want to be coincident with. Also, this technique does not work if the line you want to be coincident with does not extend to where you want to snap. You can get these things to work by lots of “draw the line at wrong place, remove constraints, move the line, add consrtraints” type of fiddling, but it just would seem so simple to have the “coincident” constraint be available just like the other constraints, (concentric, tangent etc.).

2 Likes

It would be great to include a weight indicator with the added plus of different materials and metals.

1 Like

@CRichmond95 when you highlight a body, there is a volume measurement at the bottom center of the screen, so if you multiply that by the specific material density you plan to use, you can get the weight of the part.

At least that’s what I do, without without pre-loaded materials.

1 Like

Good to know. I appreciate it!

1 Like

Part relationships or mating depending on your terminology would be nice, metal bending, having sub-assemblies. Combining parts in to assembly’s which is assumed from sub-assembly’s feature, and a Parts Library. Those are the most important pieces left to compete with solidworks and be able to align yourself for there basic customer base oh and being able to add radius to corners of a sketch and some sort of thread tool.

1 Like

Sweep along 2 rails would be an awesome feature.

I know it’s been said 100 times but a way to organize projects. It’s getting annoying to have to comb through the random order that is the projects tab.

The ability to have different sketches on same plane. I have to delete my sketches on the the top/front/sides in or move to another plane to not have them group together with other sketches.

The ability to organize in colors possibly so you can select all of one color at a time whether sketches/bodies/meshes whatever. (This could be a possibility to fix the sketches issue)

Scale along only x, y, z.

The possibility of industry specific tools. As a jeweler a way to effectively plot stones and cut seats and I put dimensions of different cuts of stones would be worth an add on subscription. It takes me hours and hours to plot out stones and prongs which is something I can do on Matrix in a fraction of the time.

1 Like

align. align. align. i canceled my subscription because basic alignment of 3d objects is AFAICT impossible.

1 Like

Ability to UV map our models so texture, bump and other maps within Shapr3D. It’s par for the course with polygon modelling.

Ability to export high resolution images of our work. The low quality screenshot sized exported images are of very low quality and lack critical detail.

+++++1 on sketch fillet…come on guys…