Windows

Windows 11 in my Surface Pro is obviously not for Shapr3d. I’ve tried to also get my Spacemouse(3dconnexion) to work properly but compared to my Ipad Pro it is just horrible. Any ideas as to why?
Skipping the mouse or Spacemouse totally just using fingers even shows that dynamic zooming, panning and rotating is just not even close to what it is in my Ipad.

What is going on here, I suppose this is nothing for Windows. Windows doesn’t even recognize my Spacemouse and he version driver they recommmend for Shapr3d is not available.

1 Like

I’d have to agree. The performance on the iPad is far superior, it just doesn’t get in the way.

I have to use a surface pro for work, and there’s no part of the surface pro experience that I find satisfying, I wouldn’t limit it to shapr, however, it’s pretty much everything about it.

Hi,

Exactly which Surface Pro model you have? If it’s the X, which is ARM based, it doesn’t have drivers for Spacemouse.

No I run 11th gen, a Surface Pro 7+ w/ Win11 23H2.
Got it working pretty well now after watching a Youtube clip. Spent many hours sorting it out.
I will get a new Ipad Pro for this, Apple products work.

Thanks though, now make sure we can disable sketches, planes etc. w/ one click(not each individual folder) and make a section view plane that can be moved and rotated dynamically(the 3D move/rotate feature). For analyzing primarily. It’s on my christmas wish list! :+1:

Could you share that YouTube clip that helped you? Using the SpaceMouse should be pretty plug & play generally, but it might make sense to extend our manuals if necessary.

Unfortunately, a Surface Pro 7+, especially the i3 version is just barely powerful enough for serious 3D work – the computing, especially the graphics performance is limited. It can be used perfectly well for simpler designs (as a matter of fact I have one on my desk and use it every day for testing purposes), but performance does break down as complexity increases. A recent iPad Pro with an M2 chip is indeed way, way more powerful.

Definitely, my pleasure!
It is a power management issue with USB. Power management of root hubs and controllers has to be disabled. The Spacemouse issue is all over the web but this will remedy.

No doubt, Ipads are it! But, lacking Windows file management. So, I have worked my way into Shapr in windows as well to use that as well as familiarize myself with the Win platform for Shapr as well.

Thanks, we will check this out.

And, of course, you can have the best of both worlds: have Shapr3D on your Windows machine to access all your files for easy import/export but also use Shapr3D on iPad for portability – and have the app sync your designs seamlessly between the two.

Yepp, that is why I have them both and my trust in your product don’t seem to want to go away. I guess I’ve seen this forum as a sort of media which would keep calming my frustrations.
Now, I never see comments from you guys about disabling those folders I mentioned, why is that?
The other “world”-icon move/rotate feature I’ve mentioned(section view), what’s not a DO about that, it’s really not complicated and would help a lot when analyzing an assembly?

What would be your use case for disabling (hiding?) all items of a given type at once? Is this something that you do often today manually?

On movable section views: this is something that’s on our backlog, though I can’t give you an exact timeframe for it. It’s indeed not super complicated but not trivial either and we need to prioritize a few other things higher.

Until then, there’s a possible workaround in the parametric version though: you can create a construction plane, split the body using it and delete one of the parts. If you then add a Move/Rotate step before the splitting and keep editing that, you basically get a section view that can be moved dynamically and real-time – minus the hatching, unfortunately.

movable section view workaround.shapr (12.4 KB)

1 Like

Thanks! The eye and mind is a very busy place in all of us. The incomprehensible amount of finite data processed by channeling all info into and through the brain limits our attention span.
Now, less unnecessary input/info would be to prefer and to clean up the workspace from info I don’t need is what I would like.
As well, sometimes it is one or more sketches in the foreground limiting my chances of easily targeting specific object and I often don’t need sketches once items are constructed.
A few more here have requested the exact same, I have no idea why this is so hard to implement as you already have for each sketch the ability to disable.

The question is not necessarily the time needed for the implementation itself, though working one feature this means not working on something else that might be more useful. Rather that, as you’ve said, the eye and mind being a busy place, and adding additional functionality to the app unavoidably makes it more cluttered and thus slower, less useful and harder to learn.

But we do understand the problem and we are looking for solutions to fix them. For example, in the parametric beta version sketches are automatically hidden after you extrude all of their fillings, ensuring that they’re not in the way – but we have other plans as well, and we’ll consider a global switch to hide all items of a type as well.

Yes, looking at the video u sent I’ve used that many times. Under the Section View icon I’d like a sub-icon w/ a world move/rotate feature for section view, that’s the idea. Nothing that could ever clutter! Just move or rotate the section view. Many other programs offer this.

Sketches just need the check mark for All, not just individual ones. Maybe hard to implement, just like making a stable forum here. This reply box acts like there are extra-terrestrials involved at times. Yes it’s dynamic scripts running wild at times when writing you.

1 Like

Any idea why I can not rotate object world axis in Windows with my fingers on my Surface, instead there is a Spacemouse setting “Keep horizon level”. When did this Spacemouse menu at all come into place for that matter?

Ok, I’m now back to the same staggering mouse behaviour after Win updated

Never mind, uninstalled dongle, reinstalled and back on track again. F****ng Windows! Sorry!

But! Thanks guys, you seem to make even the Windows version a lot better for every update, just fantastic work behind all this. Really impressive, yet I have those wishes mentioned here and there in this forum. I do have intention as before to help make this a really perfect product if I can, just keep thinking through all of our ideas and opinions. We are those and the other side of the rope and you know you need us. :+1:

What is going on in my two Windows versions when object stays horizontal while trying to rotate? Regardless of setting.

Are you still using the Space Mouse? There’s a setting called “Keep horizon level” in the view menu that controls this behavior – give it a try. There are also related settings in the 3Dconnexion driver as well, you can enable & disable the different rotation axes independently.

I said regardless of setting. My Spacemouse i used when on 27" monitor, not needed when on Surface Pro.
As mentioned it is the same in beta versionas well. No horizontal y-axis rotation.

Correction! - I tried them both versions now and, unlike every time before, it did work now to rotate. Trust me, even before I started using the Spacemouse it did not rotate. Now it does.
To start with Windows has always been more or less crap, however…

Another thing, why at all these damn hop an’ pop scripts issues with this page that was not present a year and so ago? Reload here and there all the time!

Took my first computer course 1980 and still to this day I must conclude that Windows must be the biggest embarrassment in the computer industry there is.
Now, you guys must make sure as well to divide this forum in proper OS sections.
The problem I now run into is Windows App Store, it is just amazing that some remedy to it stop working properly is a complex Regedit process that is just jaw-dropping. App-store must be removed and re-installed! - Say whaaaat!!! Oh my …,
Yes, Windows still is shit and just to have my Shapr working in my Surface I wouldn’t mind seeing if there is an update and when I go to this forum I am equally amazed to see no reference to operating system just version history. Is it for Win or IOS, I have no clue.

Promise me that you guys stick to common sense please. Not like in Microsoft App store where there is an icon that says OPEN app WHEN I’M ALREADY IN, :-0

Hey

Indeed MS Store isn’t the best there is, however there is no need to use it, you can download the installer directly fron our website, and get updates from there too.

OS specific updates are mentioned in the release notes, if there is none specified, the update is for all platforms, which is generally our aim to keep feature par.