SVG file exports for Shaper Origin

Appreciate yall. Hopefully get my first shaper cut in tonight.

I am having the same issue when exporting svg into sheetcam. From 16 inches to 19.2

I had the same problem with measurement. A measurement of 30mm turned out as a 40mm

1 Like

Shapr3d uses 96 dpi and sheetcam uses 90 dpi. 90/96 is 0.9375. Use that as your scale when importing into sheetcam. .9375:1

If you use illustrator, it uses 72dpi. You can import into sheetcam at 1.25:1 scale to get correct dimensions.

1 Like

Hi, is there any news on this supject. Would be very nice to use Shapr3D and shaper origin without the detour

1 Like

Hi @Mike.D ,

We have added new options to the SVG export with 5.30. You can now set the DPI setting and change the resolution of the SVG file in case Origin cannot process it. This is out for iOS and MacOS at the time being, Windows will come a little bit later. Give it a try and let us know how you like it.

2 Likes

Wow this is great. Thanks for the quick reply

I only mention this so you don’t waste as much time as i did trying to figure out what was wrong.

This is on an ipad pro and do not know if it occurs on other platforms

Be aware that the software is buggy for .svg export, some lines are not connected so you will need to post process it in a different program to connect the lines.

I read were “if” there is a bug it will be fixed….

Hi, have you contacted our support@shapr3d.com team? Can you please share the problematic workspace? Does this occur always or only with one specific workspace?

Hi Alexander
It would be nice if you would be able to have your own dedicated dpi. I mean a way to set your dpi as a custom setting and that it will stay. Now we have to set the dpi every single time
Thanks.

Hi! What should I set dpi to when saving an svg in Shapr3D to be exported to shaper origin?

Hi! What should I set dpi to when saving an svg in Shapr3D to be exported to shaper origin? TIA

Hi,

If you export directly to the Origin then set the DPI to 72, if you intend to use a different software in between then make sure to check if you need to use 72/90/96 depending on the software.

Hi there, I am trying to export a project using the SVG option, when doing so and importing to Easel software for my Xcarve CNC there is only a circle that is displayed on the canvas…Funny as there are no circles in my design? I don’t know what is happening or what I am doing wrong in the process. Do we all have to purchase a second software to make Shapr3D valuable for this?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Jordan

2 Likes

Hi! Depending on the reader you open the SVG, there can be some issues if the sketch is placed on any different plane from the X-Y one. Please upload here or send us the Shapr3D design and the SVG also, we are happy to check!

1 Like

@DebHeadworth, yes, set the DPI at 72 for the Shaper Origin. I do not know why the default is set to 96, that’s left over from old Windows versions/paper printers? But this is a great opportunity to submit . . . . . . . .2 FEATURE REQUESTS:

1. (Easy) Allow the user to set his/her own default DPI. It would streamline workflow and help avoid mistakes.

2. (More Challenging) Create a plugin for Shaper Origin, just like Fusion 360 has. Shapr3D is a much more appropriate CAD environment for hobbyists and wood workers. While the SVG exports from Shapr3D work fine, the color coding that the Fusion360 plugin adds makes it WAY easier to take advantage of the Shaper Origin’s Z-axis capabilities (I.e. pockets and countersinks). It would also streamline 3D based design workflows by eliminating the need to add extra construction planes and then do projections in order to extract the appropriate contours for SVG exports.

3 Likes

I am missing something. Why are we talking about DPI in an SVG context? “VG” means vector graphics, right? Shapr3d isn’t a bitmapped paint program, edges are vectors and parameterized curves and Shapr3d knows all the dimensions.
I’m here because I do have a Shaper Origin and have experience with Fusion 360 and the Shaper plugin for it. I’d like something comparable for Shapr3d but would be content with an easy way to export to a format that Fusion 360 can import without any fuss. So far I haven’t found that. Exporting a sketch doesn’t work for me, the objects I create start with a sketch but are not just simple extrusions which maintain have a direct mapping to elements of the original sketch.

Hey Chesterton,

I agree with you, Shapr3D is a challenge to use with the Shaper Origin. But I have basically solved the workflow, and it works well. I isolate my design in Shapr3D, then export it to STEP. Then upload in Fusion 360, identify the germain surface, then export to the Shaper Origin. It all works really well. Please feel free to let me know if that does not work for you.

-Tim

Very awesome, thanks! This will definitely work for me. I have some parts with weird compound angles and the like and had been trying to use .3mf and the like as an intermediate format and getting all kinds of nowhere. Same with .dxf as an intermediate. Being able to upload STEP enables a lot for me.
Thanks again.
Chet

Hi all

Another Shaper Origin user here looking for a clean workflow between Shapr3D and my Origin. If anyone knows of a separate native iPad app to export from DXF to SVG please let me know (I would of course prefer a built in face based SVG export option natively in Shapr3D)!

Support/Devs, if you are reading we would really like to be able to export a selectable face as an SVG, preferably with color options but I would be happy with a face export. Also it would be great if Shapr3D remembered the export DPI! :wink:
I would be happy to provide you with sample files, DXF of a model, SVG exports from that model etc. if it would help to show what we as a community are looking for.

Thanks for all the work you have done so far - Shapr3D is so close to being the perfect partner for my Origin.

John

2 Likes